The Mighty is a digital health community created to empower and connect people facing health challenges and disabilities.
We are a community of people who care deeply about changing perceptions around disability and illness through sharing stories and experiences among those facing health challenges, as well as their supporters and caregivers. By capturing the power of shared experiences, The Mighty promotes inclusion and acceptance.
As such, we know that a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences enhance our vision. This value is embodied within the diversity of our community offerings and among the colleagues that help enliven our culture. Cultivating an inclusive work environment that values a range of talent and ideas is a top priority for us. We enthusiastically encourage candidates of all backgrounds and abilities to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
ABOUT THIS POSITION
In this role, you would report to our Head of Data and you will be part of the ground floor of a burgeoning data team with a career path that may result in future high-growth opportunities in senior management, and/or directorship data scientist or ML engineering roles. This position is exempt.
THIS POSITION MAY BE RIGHT FOR YOU IF
- YOU THRIVE IN A FAST PACED ENVIRONMENT and excel at moving through tasks and problem solving independently.
- YOU ARE CURIOUS TO THE CORE.
- YOU ENJOY WORKING INDEPENDENTLY and can be depended upon by colleagues and your supervisor to exceed their expectations.
- YOU BELIEVE THAT CLEAR, CONCISE, AND EFFECTIVE WRITTEN AND VERBAL COMMUNICATION IS A REQUIREMENT to be part of a successful team.
- YOU YEARN TO BE INVOLVED in a project from beginning-to-end, from business problem identification, idea generation/brainstorming, planning, execution, testing, and shipping.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE
- Design, Build and Maintain an ETL pipeline from multiple sources
- Own data transformation and data cleaning
- Bring innovative ideas on scalability and data flow
- Define the data models to structure the data in a way that maximizes value for potential customers
- Gain a deep understanding of The Mighty’s current data and take initiative to identify places where unused and novel data could add value
HOW YOU CAN STAND OUT
For this role, the ideal candidate has strong programming and database skills, a passion for interrogating data, clear communication abilities, and the desire to ensure that data pipelines are super efficient while protruding clean data. A strong background in data, as well as 2-4 years of experience as a software developer or 1-2 years of experience with a Master’s degree.
You will also stand out if you have:
- Knowledge of NLP, statistical analysis, or data visualization
- MS in CS, EE, Math/Stats
- Personal experience with health conditions, disabilities, or rare diseases.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED ON DAY ONE
- Experience with production code (python preferred)
- MySQL – significant experience with normalization, joins, etc.
- Passing knowledge of noSQL, JSON, and other non-SQL file/data management
- An interest in understanding how our client-facing data product operates to find ways to unlock even more value from our data
- Comfortable in uncertain situations. We are building up our new data platforms and so there is significant room for input but things might change as well
- Enthusiasm to learn and the ability to learn quickly
- Self-directedness and strong initiative
- Good software engineering hygiene
- Strong communication skills
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to [email protected]. Competitive salary based on experience.