The Mighty is a digital health community created to empower and connect people facing health challenges and disabilities. We are a community of people who care deeply about changing perceptions around disability and illness through sharing stories and experiences among those facing health challenges, their supporters and caregivers. By capturing the power of shared experiences, The Mighty promotes inclusion and acceptance.
As such, we know that a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences enhance our vision. This value is embodied within the diversity of our community offerings and among the colleagues that help enliven our culture. Cultivating an inclusive work environment that values a range of talent and ideas is a top priority for us. We enthusiastically encourage candidates of all backgrounds and abilities to apply. Reasonable accommodations may be made.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
In this role, you would report to our President and will be a leader (a “player-coach”) across various aspects of our technical operations – including coding, mentoring junior engineers, and high-level roadmap discussions. This career path may result in future opportunities as the VP Engineering or a CTO role. This position is exempt.
THIS POSITION MAY BE RIGHT FOR YOU IF:
- YOU THRIVE IN A FAST PACED ENVIRONMENT and excel at moving through tasks and problem solving independently.
- YOU ARE CURIOUS TO THE CORE
- YOU ENJOY WORKING INDEPENDENTLY and can be depended upon by colleagues and your supervisor to exceed their expectations.
- YOU BELIEVE THAT CLEAR, CONCISE, AND EFFECTIVE WRITTEN AND VERBAL COMMUNICATION IS A REQUIREMENT to be part of a successful team.
- YOU YEARN TO BE INVOLVED in a project from beginning-to-end, from business problem identification, idea generation/brainstorming, planning, execution, testing, and shipping.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO DO IN THIS ROLE:
- Code on the backend and then either front-end, and/or mobile. You will mostly work in the areas that you like and are most well versed, and will help hire to fill in support for the other areas. In other words, there are 3 areas to what we do (backend, Web front-end, and mobile) and you will thrive in 2 of those.
- Hire and manage a technical team – as a manager, you will communicate with stakeholders and run a fun, productive, and coherent team
- Mentor junior engineers with best-practices around code hygiene, development, testing
- Bring innovative ideas on software engineering
- Help us juggle technical debt versus innovative solutions
- Gain a deep understanding of The Mighty’s current business and take initiative to identify places where we can add significant value from a technical perspective
HOW YOU CAN STAND OUT:
For this role, the ideal candidate has very strong programming skills on the backend and passable experience either in mobile programming (e.g., flutter) or front-end development (design is not necessary). The ideal candidate will strive to link our business needs with development, and be curious about growing a business as well. The most ideal candidate loves to code!
You will also stand out if you have:
- A strong background in software development, with 3-5 years of experience as a software developer or 2+ years of experience with a Master’s degree.
- Coded well in multiple languages, showing us that you can pick up new technologies easily
- Personal experience with health conditions, disabilities, or rare diseases.
- Experience mentoring junior developers
- A passion to join a mission-driven organization
WHAT YOU’LL NEED ON DAY ONE:
- Experience with backend production code (Python, Node, etc.), enough understanding of mobile and/or front-end to be dangerous (e.g, Flutter, React, etc.)
- An understanding of MySQL/SQL to understand our data flow
- Knowledge of noSQL, JSON, and other non-SQL file/data management
- Comfort in uncertain situations. We are constantly iterating on new and powerful developments on our sites and app
- Enthusiasm to learn and the ability to learn quickly
- Self-directedness and strong initiative
- Good software engineering hygiene
- Strong communication skills
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Competitive salary based on experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The Mighty is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, hairstyle, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local laws. Our policy reflects and affirms The Mighty’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.