Interested in working at The Mighty?
We’re looking for people who are driven to succeed and passionate about making a big impact. Even if these positions aren’t a perfect fit, we’d love to hear from you.
Right now, we are hiring for full-time, part-time, and internship positions.
The Mighty is looking for a editor to lead our news coverage. We need a person fascinated by issues facing the disability, chronic illness, and mental illness community — someone who wakes up every day with an insatiable thirst to find the next big story.
The News Editor is responsible for choosing, writing, editing and packaging news stories relevant to our audience. You’ll work directly with our Editorial Director of News & Lifestyle. The position requires both writing and editing, in addition to the ability to produce multiple stories per day.
To do this well, you’ll need:
- Exceptional writing skills
- A sharp eye for editing (we’ll give you a test)
- A knack for finding breaking news from across the web
- Deep understanding of how to frame a story to attract a large audience — writing compelling headlines is crucial
- Experience using WordPress or similar digital publishing platforms
- Familiarity with Google Analytics or other tools to measure performance
- Experience posting stories across a variety of social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest
- The ability to work quickly and to help out other coworkers as needed (we’re big on teamwork)
- A genuine interest in the topics we cover — disorders, diseases, disabilities and mental illnesses
- At least two years of newsroom experience.
We’re looking for someone creative, independent, and driven. This is a remote position; however, east coast and New York City based candidates are preferred. If that’s you, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with subject News Editor – [your name].
*Please note we are not hiring for this position at this time, but we will send an update in our weekly contributor newsletter as soon as we are.
This is a paid, remote editorial position for members of our community who are interested in editing stories on a part-time, freelance basis.
In this role, you will receive extensive training from our senior editors and will be responsible for editing multiple stories per day from our contributor community.
This position is only open to Mighty contributors. Any job openings are announced in our weekly contributor newsletter. If you’d like to become a contributor, head here.
Social Media Intern
We’re seeking a social media intern with strong organizational skills and attention to detail. The ideal candidate is informed and interested in the dialogue surrounding disease, disability and mental illness. To qualify for this position, you should have experience in new media and social media platforms, specifically Facebook. Experience in other social media platforms, especially Twitter and Reddit, is a plus.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing and scheduling a variety of social media channels
- Using Hootsuite to schedule our network of Facebook pages and Twitter
- Distributing original Mighty videos across social media channels
- Finding content that our audience will love from other publishers
- Updating spreadsheets to track engagement metrics over time
This position can be paid or completed for academic credit. To qualify, you need to be available for 5-15 hours per week. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line Social media intern – [your name].
*Remote applicants accepted; Los Angeles-based applicants preferred.
Editorial Operations Intern
In this role, you’ll work with our New York team to coordinate coverage for our news team as well as work on operational initiatives relating to news and lifestyle content. This is an opportunity to get real editorial experience and create stories that help people in a meaningful way.
Over the course of your internship, you will be expected to own several projects relating to The Mighty’s news and lifestyle coverage. During your internship, you will have a few opportunities to write content that will be published on The Mighty in your name (however, this will be secondary to your other responsibilities).
To excel in this role, you’ll need:
- Interest in digital media, publishing and news
- Strong organizational and writing skills
- Great communication skills
- The ability to prioritize and juggle tasks
- Familiarity with social media and an interest in analytics
- Experience working with WordPress or similar platforms
- Genuine interest in the topics we cover (disabilities, chronic conditions and mental illnesses)
- At least 10 to 15 hours per week to dedicate to the position
This is an unpaid internship — you must be able to earn course credit for the internship. Candidates located in or nearby New York City are preferred; however, other east coast candidates will be considered as well. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line Editorial Operations Intern – [your name].
Thank you for your interest in The Mighty.