Although a quote itself can’t lift you up from a dark depression or keep you steady during a bad episode of mania, words do have the power to keep us grounded — if only for a moment — and at the very least offer us some hope. To find out what quotes helped people who live with bipolar disorder, we asked people in our mental health community tell us one quote that helps them get through tough times.
Here’s what they had to say:
1. “Happiness can be found in e the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”– Albus Dumbledore from “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Submitted by Alexis D.: “I know it is difficult to see the good in the bad, but it helps to try.”
2. “Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.” — from Les Misérables
Submitted by Kaitlin C: “I got these lyrics tattooed on my arm as a constant reminder that it will get better.”
3. “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” — Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
Submitted by Rebekah B.
4. “You wake up every morning to fight the same demons that left you so tired the night before, and that, my love, is bravery.” — Quietly I Will Not Tumblr page
Submitted by Sara K.
5. “This pain is part of being human… the fact that you can feel pain like this is your greatest strength.” –Albus Dumbledore from “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”
Submitted by Gates P.
6. “You don’t have to feel like a waste of space. You’re original, cannot be replaced. If you only knew what the future holds. After a hurricane comes a rainbow” – “Firework” by Katy Perry
Submitted by Heather B.
7. “You’re a hurricane of a girl; remember to breathe every once and a while. Do not drown within your own storm.” – Emma Bleker
Submitted by Loren N.
8. “The devil whispered in my ear, ‘You’re not strong enough to withstand the storm.’ Today I whispered in the devils ear, ‘I am the storm.’ — Unknown
Submitted by Camila A.
9. “It’s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end… because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing… this shadow. Even darkness must pass.” — Sam from “The Two Towers”
Submitted by Adrianna S.
10. “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” — Albus Dumbledore from “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Submitted by Jenn R.
11. “Oh be calm. Be calm. I know you feel like you are breaking down. Oh I know that it gets so hard sometimes, Be calm. Take it from me, I’ve been there a thousand times. You hate your pulse because it still thinks you’re alive And everything’s wrong. It just gets so hard sometimes. Be calm. — “Be Calm” by fun.
Submitted by Amanda M.
12. “I know this transformation is painful, but you’re not falling apart; you’re just falling into something different, with a new capacity to be beautiful.” — William C. Hannan
Submitted by Heather L.
13. “Fight it / Take the pain ignite it / Tie a noose around your mind / Loose enough to breathe fine / And tie it to a tree / Tell it you belong to me / This ain’t a noose this is a leash and I have news for you you must obey me.” — “Holding on to You” by twenty one pilots
Submitted by Rachel M.: “I’ve always loved these twenty one pilots’ lyrics. When I’m in my darkest of places it gives me power to fight and live another day.”
14. “Nothing hurt, and everything was beautiful.” — “Slaughterhouse Five” by Kurt Vonnegut
Submitted by Chantel P.: “It reminds me to fight for the times where everything is beautiful, even if it’s only for a moment.”
15. “This too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone, but it’ll pass.” — Unknown
Submitted by Allison V.
16. “I see the sun, and if I don’t see the sun, I know it’s there. And there’s a whole life in that, in knowing that the sun is there.” — Froyder Dostoyevsky
Submitted by Selena G.
17. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
Submitted by Christan A.
18. “Promise me you will not spend so much time treading water and trying to keep your head above the waves that you forgot, truly forget, how much you have always loved to swim” — Tyler Knott Gregson
Submitted by Nicole B.
19. “It’s always darkest before the dawn.” — “Shake It Off” by Florence & the Machine
Submitted by Jelena V.
What you you add?