11 Embarrassing Moments Only Spoonies Will Understand
Ain’t it fun being a spoonie? After juggling all the daily meds, doctor appointments, “normal” symptoms and worrying symptoms – sometimes it gives you an extra kick and you’re left feeling red-faced. Eventually you learn to shrug these things off, even laugh at the slightly ridiculous things that can only come with being a spoonie.
Here is a small sample of possible “red-faced” moments:
- When the phlebotomist takes extra blood samples and you faint.
- When you get up from a chair and the pain from your joints makes you groan out loud.
- When you get a cute doctor who then proceeds to ask if you are experiencing diarrhea.
- When the other customer in the pharmacy stare at your impressive collection of medication piling up.
- When you’re the youngest in a waiting room by a few decades so they become really curious about you.
- When you’re traveling, and your bag bursts open and your meds scatter across the ground.
- When you catch an illness that lasts and lasts and you cannot stop coughing in meetings/quiet moments/when someone asks how you’re doing.
- When the brain fog hits and you cannot focus and screw something up, or just stare into space trying to remember.
- When the fatigue hits and you start falling asleep at your desk.
- When you have to carry your pee around, hiding in your bag, until you hand it to the nurse.
- When someone comments on your rosy cheeks, but it’s just your butterfly rash.
Getty Image by Koldunov