Organization's Free Book Helps Autistic Kids Cope With COVID-19 Anxiety
What to know: U.K. organization Ambitious About Autism released a free children’s book to help autistic kids cope with COVID-19 anxiety. Titled “The World Has Turned Upside Down,” the book aims to address the loss of routine and predictability during the pandemic that many people on the spectrum find especially challenging. Ambitious About Autism is using the book to help raise funds for its COVID-19 relief fund.
Routine, structure and predictability are incredibly important for autistic children, helping them manage anxiety and regulate their emotions in a world that is often very challenging. — Jolanta Lasota, chief executive of Ambitious about Autism
We partnered up with author Kes Gray and illustrator Chloe Batchelor to create a free illustrated story…
The Frontlines: COVID-19 is having a major mental health impact on people around the globe, but it can be particularly difficult for those on the spectrum who are already at risk for mental health issues.
- Anxiety is common among kids on the spectrum — many as 84% of autistic children experience anxiety
- Other studies show that people on the spectrum are more likely to struggle with their mental health, including depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and suicidal thoughts
A Mighty Voice: Our contributor, Christine Motokane, shared how COVID-19 affected her mental health as an autistic adult. “All these sudden changes coupled with not knowing the end date of this situation caused my anxiety to skyrocket. I became very upset when I found out my routine was disrupted and that I couldn’t have access to my favorite activities.” You can submit your first person story, too.
Get more on autism: Sign up for our weekly autism newsletter.
From Our Community:
Other things to know: If you or your child is struggling with COVID-19-related anxiety, know you’re not alone. Here’s some insight about coping with COVID-19 as someone on the spectrum:
- What to Do When Your Child on the Autism Spectrum’s Routine Is Disrupted by the Coronavirus
- Managing My Quarantine Routine as an Adult on the Autism Spectrum
- How I’m Coping With COVID-19 Anxiety as an Autistic Person
How to take action: You can read “The World Has Turned Upside Down” here (and make a donation if you’re so inclined). You can also listen to an audio version of the book — read by Jon Snow — below.
Header image via Ambitious About Autism/”The World Has Turned Upside Down”/Facebook