Share These Stories to End the ‘R’ Word
This Wednesday, March 4, is the annual Spread the Word to End the Word day. This is an awareness day about the hurtful effects of the word “retard(ed),” otherwise known as the “r-word.” This day also promotes inclusive people-first language.
Check out and share the following r-word stories to let your friends know why it’s important to end the r-word:
- “The Importance of People First Language” — A guest blog article by Daniel Smrokowski, originally posted on The World of Special Olympics blog.
- Pontiac School-wide R-Word Campaign Releases Powerful “My Son” Video
- “Speaking Up Against the R-Word” — A guest column by Daniel Smrokowski, printed in The Bugle Newspapers
- “Special Olympics Colleges Spread the Word” — A video submitted by Marci Gaines on the r-word campaign on college campuses
- “Open #RWord Letter To All Public Transportation Commuters” – blog article by Daniel Smrokowski, originally printed on specialchronicles.com
You can also share this video from my friend Tim Shriver Jr., co-founder of Spread the Word to End the Word:
This post originally appeared on Special Chronicles.
Want to end the stigma around disability? Like us on Facebook.
And sign up for what we hope will be your favorite thing to read at night.