25 Quotes Everyone With a Mental Illness Should Hear
If you need a little inspiration to get you through your day today, our mental health community has got you covered. We asked our readers who live with a mental illness to share some quotes that have helped them along their own journeys.
We hope at least one of these resonates with you:
2. “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.”
— Charles Bukowski from “Gamblers All” (submitted by Ashley Mobley)
4. “Promise me you’ll always remember — you’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” — Christopher Robin from “Winnie the Pooh” (submitted by Monica Jean Cozadd)
6. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” — Elisabeth Kübler-Ross from “Death: The Final Stage of Growth“ (submitted by Laura Ito)
7. “Not a famous quote, but I had a doctor in college who told me to try to leave the house every day. For 25 years that’s helped me. Sometimes I just go to the mailbox or the store, but that’s enough. It helps to break the cycle when I’m stuck.” — Rue Brown
11. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” — Dr. Seuss from “The Lorax” (submitted by Sarah Littlewood: “I feel that this is saying that unless I care a whole lot about myself nothing will get better.”)
12. “Even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there.” — Charlie from “Julia Ann Lange)submitted by
14. “’I wish it need not have happened in my time,’ said Frodo.
‘So do I,’ said Gandalf, ‘and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'” — J.R.R. Tolkien from “The Fellowship of the Ring“ (submitted by Chelsea Haire)
16. “You are valuable just because you exist. Not because of what you do or what you have done, but simply because you are.” — Max Lucado from “No Wonder They Call Him the Savior” (submitted by Lindsay Bee)
18. “I believed in my capacity to stand back up and run into the waves again and again, no matter the risk.” — Terry Tempest Williams from “When Women Were Birds: Fifty-four Variations on Voice” (submitted by Alyse Ruriani)
20. “I have come to realize making yourself happy is most important. Never be ashamed of how you feel. You have the right feel any emotion you want, and do what makes you happy.” — Demi Lovato in a interview with Seventeen (submitted by Liz Liz)
22. “One of my professors said something in class the day I finally told him I needed help. He said that you could look at things as though you’re struggling, or striving. I’ve tried to remember that when I feel like I am stuck in mental quicksand. I’m striving…” — Annabel Rodman