5 Reasons This Year’s TEDx Syracuse Theme Is the Best, Biggest ‘Glitch’ Ever
I had my first TEDx rehearsal this weekend. It was a great chance for us all to orient ourselves on the amazing concept of TED’s “ideas worth spreading” and work out our own “glitches.” In fact, the theme of this year’s TEDx at Syracuse University happens to be… Glitch. What would you define as a “glitch?” Here’s one dictionary definition:
1. suffer a sudden malfunction or irregularity.
2. a minor problem that causes a temporary setback
I think the better question is, who hasn’t had a glitch in life?
I’d define a “glitch” as a detour — you know, something in life that doesn’t go as you expect. Nobody expects a detour to happen. It’s what happens when we think we have things planned and all figured out… and then we’re thrown a curveball. I’m excited about the “Glitch” theme for this year’s TEDx. What is life without the imperfections, the “malfunctions” and “irregularities” to keep us on our toes and push us to learn, change, adapt and grow?
We all experience glitches in life. Here are five reasons why “Glitch” might be the best TEDx theme ever:
1. Glitches give us a chance to revisit and revise. When we spot an “imperfection,” we’re forced to pause and give it more careful thought. We’re challenged to work on something we might have glossed over or might have easily overlooked. Glitches demand attention, a different approach, a new way of problem-solving.
2. Glitches give us character. In a world of sameness and uniformity, it’s the mistakes that are our uniqueness. Our “flaws” allow us to stand out. A glitch is individuality — a mistake that’s unmistakably you.
3. Glitches make us who we are. What glitches and detours force us to do is explore new opportunities. When we can’t go in the direction we anticipated, we’ve got to switch gears and adapt. We have to resource inner strengths we never knew we were capable of accessing. When we achieve the “unthinkable,” we discover who we really are.
4. Glitches make our stories. Think of a favorite adventure movie. Every good plot has an unexpected twist of events. If life went exactly as you planned, where would the excitement be? The best stories are the ones with surprising “glitches” and turns. Glitches lead to discovery, epiphanies happy accidents. Did you know potato chips were invented by a glitch?
5. Glitches connect us. We all have things in life that don’t go as we expect. We all make mistakes and experience “failure.” The more we share our “glitches” the more we realize we’re not alone — and there is strength built in community. A world of “glitches” is a world of uniqueness, empathy, compassion and change. Bonus reason? Glitch is a pretty fun word to say.
Glitches have an upside. Glitches allow us to welcome the unexpected change in our “thought-out” life and see what opportunities may arise. I’m living proof that a glitch can lead to unexpected blessings. If I took away all of the setbacks, hurdles, frustrations and glitches, I wouldn’t be who I am today… giving a TEDx Talk on glitches. Glitches are most certainly happy, liberating and open-ended discoveries. How can you make a “glitch” today?
See you at TEDx! Amy will be speaking at TEDx Syracuse on April 16, 2016. Learn about her mental health advocacy programs for students, and find out how to take part in the #LoveMyDetour movement, striving to create compassion through stories.