Show This to Anyone Who Still Thinks Using the R-Word Is No Big Deal
We’ve all heard the phrase, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”
And yes, while it’s important to build self-confidence and not be bogged down by others’ opinions, let’s all admit to something: words can and do hurt.
Some people think using the R-word as a replacement for “stupid,” “silly,” ridiculous,” etc., is no big deal. That’s just not the case. For many, that word is more than derogatory; it’s downright harmful.
So, to help Spread the Word to End the Word, we’ve compiled some of our favorite Mighty articles you can show to anyone who shrugs their shoulders when we say the R-word should be wiped from our vocabularies. Let’s all make an effort to be kinder with our words.
- Confessions of a Former R-Word User by Jenn Morson
- When I Found the R-Word in My Child’s Book by Judi Hayes
- Why the R-Word is Not ‘Just a Word’ by Becky Carey
- 6 Arguments for Using the R-Word… and 6 Reasons Those Arguments Make No Sense by Mama Fry
- To the Students Who Stood Up to Our Classmate About Using the R-Word by Emma Wozny
- When I Stood Up to My Marine Drill Instructor About Using the R-Word by Jay Mitchell
- When I Confronted My Lunch Date Over Using the R-Word by Kayla Benedetto
- To the Young Lady Who Used the R-Word to Describe My Son With Asperger’s by Keischa Pruden
- Listen to This Triathlete Explain What the R-Word Means to Him
- 22 Respectful Ways to Respond When Someone Uses the R-Word from The Mighty’s and Spread the Word to End the Word’s Facebook communities
Take the pledge! Sign up to support the elimination of the derogatory use of the R-word from everyday speech and promote acceptance and inclusion.