13 Thoughts That Go Through Your Mind During a Fibromyalgia Flare
Every person with fibromyalgia knows that dreaded feeling when your symptoms and pain suddenly begin increasing. It usually means one thing: You’re in a flare.
Flare-ups can be one of the toughest aspects of fibromyalgia, since they cause an incredible amount of pain for an unpredictable amount of time and for reasons you can’t always figure out. We asked our Mighty community with fibromyalgia to reveal what goes through their minds during a flare. Though you may feel alone and isolated while dealing with your flare, know the rest of the fibro community has experienced the same thoughts — and everyone has the strength to get through it.
Here’s what they told us:
1. “I thought I had everything under control… was it something I ate? The meds? Or did I just overdo it?”
2. “Am I going to make it or do I need to go to an ER?”
3. “My gosh, I hope I can sleep!”
4. “I’ve made it though this before, so I will make it through this again.”
5. “Why did I push myself so much again? It didn’t even do that much.”
6. “I’m going to pretend I engaged in a fierce battle with an evil dragon to save the world. After all, getting knocked around in a suit of armor is bound to leave you a little sore!”
7. “Don’t touch me. Don’t touch me. Don’t touch me. Don’t. No. No. No. Back off. Go away.”
8. “Oh crap, not again. Please keep it short!”
9. “I wish I could stay in bed today, but I cannot afford to lose a day’s wages.”
10. “I took all my supplements, I did my pacing, I’m taking my meds, why does it never stop? I feel like everyone’s already tired of me.”
11. “Wish my doctor had it for an hour so she would understand and increase a certain medication back up to four a day instead 0f three. It was very helpful at four.”
12. “Everyone’s going to see me crying and getting uncomfortable.”
13. “I always think I’ve never felt this bad before… but, deep inside I know I have, and it always gets better eventually. Keep the faith.”
What goes through your mind during a fibromyalgia flare? Share in the comments.