If you know someone who has breast cancer or even is a breast cancer survivor, you might be deciding what would be a good gift to buy them. I complied a list of ideas that I think will hopefully inspire you to find the right gift for your family member or friend. But remember to keep in mind their personality before everything else as you pick their gift.
1. Comfy clothes are a great idea for someone recovering or undergoing breast cancer treatment. Big hoodies and flannel button-down fashionable pajamas are welcome. Fuzzy warm socks are also great.
2. Moisturizers are a good gift idea because treatments can leave skin dry and itchy. Having a good moisturizer can make all the difference in the world.
3. A kindle is an excellent present for someone undergoing treatment or recovering. Reading is a great distraction from upcoming appointments, procedures and tests. Kindles are also small enough to fit in a purse or bag to transport.
4. Word search books, crossword puzzles or any games that can be used for fun and as a distraction.
5. Candles and candle holders are welcome. Nothing like a beautiful smelling candle to have in your room when you are trying to relax and heal.
6. Gift cards to grocery stores or any store for that matter just to help take some financial burden off the family. Cancer isn’t only miserable but also terribly expensive so any help is appreciated. Speaking of gift cards, gift cards to clothing stores are excellent because clothing doesn’t always fit or feel the same as it did prior a mastectomy or double mastectomy.
7. Home made gift certificates offering your assistance in services such as cleaning the house, cooking, gardening, help with child care, help with pet care, running errands and such will be a welcome help. No one likes asking for help so having these home made offers relieves stress.
8. Heating pads and blankets are appreciated especially as we approach the winter months. When I recovered, I relaxed on a recliner, and wrapping in a blanket helped me feel even more comfortable.
9. Inspirational breast cancer awareness ornaments, cups, shirts, earrings and just about anything is good for a breast cancer survivor. As I was going through cancer treatments, I didn’t appreciate the pink ribbon as I do now. Now when I look at breast cancer awareness merchandise, I don’t get a pit in my stomach. I look at it and actually smile that I had cancer, went through it and am still here.
10. iTunes gift cards and anything with music can help the survivor or the person going through breast cancer. Music carried me through just about all the seasons of cancer. Songs helped me through finding out, biopsies, lumpectomy to mastectomy. When I hear certain songs, I have a memory attached to the song. I will always carry these memories with strength.
11. A day at the spa to get a massage, nails done and whatever else to make them feel wonderful makes a terrific gift.
12. For women and men dealing with cancer, adventures and helping them do things that they have never done before. A chance to drive a sports car, amusement parks, the beach and whatever they wish to experience is so important.
13. Movie gift cards are fun and a well-needed distraction.
14. Hugs and visitors from family and friends are unmeasurable. Knowing you are not alone and people have your back can lift your spirits and hope.
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Thinkstock photo by joingate