10 Lessons From the Dalai Lama's Teachings That Helped My Mental Health
I started reading the Dalai Lama’s teachings to reduce my anger and irritability (often due to my intrusive thoughts and anxiety.) His teachings really help me in my attempt to self heal and be a mentally healthier person. These are my takeaways from his teachings:
1. Stressing out about something inevitable or something that will never happen is useless.
I know it doesn’t solve anxiety, but it is good to remember this when anxiety starts setting in and makes us feel like everything is out of control.
2. Dialogue is the way to solve conflict.
It is extremely important to talk about our mental illnesses in order to get help.
3. We need to find a way to respect everyone.
Try to find respect for the people who do not understand our illness, because negative thoughts hurt ourselves more than it hurts the people who misunderstand us.
4. Your wellness depends on the people around you.
As a person with a mental illness, you need to find a community, rather than staying isolated. We are interdependent.
5. The physical world has limits but our mental growth does not.
It is important to keep busy and grow as a person, through achievements to keep our minds healthy, even when our mind is sick.
6. Better education is the solution to everything.
This includes mental health awareness and mental illness.
7. Our similarities are greater than our differences.
Mental illness does not discriminate regardless of age, race or class.
8. Compassion is important.
With the number of people who have different mental illnesses, it is important to have compassion for each other and understand you are not alone in your suffering.
9. When we focus on ourselves, our problems seem bigger, but when we focus on others, our problems seem smaller.
I know it’s wrong to say some people have it worse, but the Dalai Lama says it helps to focus on others. I think getting involved in helping our community can help us feel included and less isolated with our problems.
10. We are so much more than our mortal body.
Our body and brain will fail us but we are so much more than them. It doesn’t mean we have to stop trying because we can still grow spiritually and through our actions.
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Image via Dalai Lama’s Facebook