20 Secrets About Self-Care You Might Not Know
There are a lot of misconceptions about self-care out there. If you’re new to self-care, here are 20 secrets you might not know:
1. Self-care is fighting back. It is standing up to everything that pulls against your happiness, attention and sense of self-worth.
2. Self-care is giving yourself permission to say “no” to people, places and things that make you feel unworthy or unsafe.
3. Self-care means you refuse to let mental illness kick your ass.
4. Self-care isn’t “new age mumbo jumbo,” but you may have to have a little extra patience when you explain it to your grandma.
5. Self-care sometimes includes yoga, meditation or exercise. For someone, it might include centering prayers or for someone else, it could be massage therapy.
6. With self-care, the outward options are endless, but on the inside, it looks like kindness.
7. Self-care and self-compassion walk hand in hand. Why? Because sometimes things happen to us that cause great sadness. People say and do things that damage the way we view ourselves and that’s why self-care often looks like self-love.
8. Self-care is absolutely not selfish, although lots of people view it that way. Self-care is putting yourself first for a while and trusting the world will continue to spin on its axis, even if you aren’t pushing.
9. Self-care is giving yourself permission to take off the cape and tights and instead, wrapping yourself in a warm blanket or a hug.
10. Self-care could be an afternoon nap, a hot cup of tea, a book that comforts your soul or a long talk at the graveside of the one you ache for.
11. Self-care sometimes looks like a hard cry, deep breaths and lots of confession — because confession really is good for your soul.
12. Self-care can be walking down the rickety steps of the dilapidated old building where you house the memories of all the bad things that have happened to you.
13. Self-care can empower you to walk away from the pain and disappointment, to say goodbye to the haters and those who always think they know better.
14. Self-care can give you that little extra push to hold your head high, as your middle finger salutes your critics.
15. Self-care can be a big fat “hell no” to shame and a resounding “hallelujah” to everything that makes you feel loved, happy, safe, healthy, whole, valuable, at peace, motivated, connected, accepted and wanted.
16. Self-care says “bring it on” to everything that gives you life, and “absolutely not” to anyone or anything that wounds your soul.
17. Self-care can save marriages, restore friendships and make you more productive at your job.
18. Self-care can remind you your value is found in who you are, not what you do.
19. Self-care can protect your dignity.
20. Self-care can save lives.
What’s your favorite self-care tip or trick? Reply to @iamsteveaustin on Twitter to keep the conversation going!
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Thinkstock photo via Massonstock.