How Health Conditions Are Like the Chocolate Chips in a Cookie
I like to think of life as one big cookie barrel, and we are the cookies. I myself am a chocolate chip cookie. How do I know this? I’m so glad you asked!
I have a fairly plain base – not too wild, but not too bland either. And my chocolate chips stand for my medical conditions and the obstacles I’ve overcome in life – they make a stronger cookie, they add character and depth, they are bittersweet, but overall, they make the cookie more interesting.
Now, if you don’t like chocolate chip cookies, you can be any kind of cookie you like! You could be a pizza, a salad, a burger… The options are endless!
Now that I’ve made you hungry (sorry!), I’ll get to the point of this post.(The cookie comparison will make sense very soon!)
Before coming across The Mighty, I never quite found any other sites or groups that really touched on the nitty gritty of health conditions in the way that they do. If you’re newly diagnosed, been affected for most of your life or are even just a family member or friend of someone with a medical condition who’s trying to understand, you’re guaranteed to learn something new, and come out feeling like you aren’t alone in your battle, and that is such a wonderful thing.
While I appreciate so many unknown conditions being brought to light and so many people feeling helped and understood, I feel like there is something missing… *Here comes the cookie!*
Everyone through every walk of life has their own hardships, but I think it’s time to focus on the things we are good at! I don’t mean the speeches people give you after you tell them about your condition, when they tell you how sorry they are, and how amazing you are to be getting through every day (though we are pretty darn amazing). I’m talking about the things we have really mastered while finding our ways to deal with our chocolate chips.
Here’s a few examples of what I have special talents in due mainly to my fibromyalgia and agoraphobia:
1. I am exceptional at ignoring calls from unknown numbers, quite possibly even the best person I know at it!
2. I can scope out any restaurant/fast food place that does delivery and get a copy of their menu. Chinese, pizza, burgers, pasta, you name it, and I will find it! I’ve actually had people message me on more than one occasion asking for menus – I’m practically a celebrity.
3. I have incredible planning skills when it comes to my “spoons.” Today I can change my bedding, so that means tomorrow I get to shower!
4. I have the greatest pajama collection of anyone I know.
5. Some people may think that last one isn’t a talent, but making up talents is also my talent.
6. I can accomplish almost every single task from the comfort of my bed – this one took a lot of practice, so I make sure to keep up with my daily training.
7. Being able to laugh at myself and embrace all of my chocolate chips! We are all incredible, strong, amazing people, and we need to share more of our great qualities.
Don’t ever doubt yourself or think you aren’t good enough (easier said than done, I know).
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.