16 Questions People Wish They Had Asked Their Doctor About Prednisone
Editor’s note: This piece is based on the experience of individuals. Please see a doctor before starting or stopping a medication.
Prednisone is a corticosteroid that is often prescribed to help with inflammatory conditions or autoimmune diseases. It can very helpful in managing symptoms, but many people may experience side effects, especially with long-term use. Like with any medication, it is important to have an in-depth conversation with your doctor before starting on it. Your doctor may provide you with some information or possible side effects, but advocating for yourself and asking questions can be highly beneficial. After all, you are the one who knows your body best.
To help you prepare for your appointment, we asked our Mighty community to share questions they wish they had asked their doctor when they were prescribed prednisone. Hopefully the following questions will give you some ideas for how best to equip yourself for a thorough and comprehensive conversation with your doctor. If we missed something you think is important to ask, let us know in the comments below.
Here’s what the community shared with us:
1. “I have a question I should have asked (although [prednisone] helps me greatly). Do you all know of it causing teeth problems or causing teeth problems to become more prominent?”
2. “I wish I would have asked about the side effects. I had no choice but to be on it, but five years later the side effects are outweighing the benefits.”
3. “How can I control any cravings I might get?”
4. “Is it absolutely necessary that I take it?”
5. “How likely was it I would get stuck on it long-term? What are the long-term side effects? I knew the short-term ones but never knew it could cause secondary adrenal insufficiency until I was on it for over six months and had a blood infection.”
6. “How will prednisone affect my anxiety?”
7. “How long will the side effects last even after I have finished taking the medication?”
8. “Is there another option that we can safely try first?”
9. “How do I avoid the weight gain and bloating?”
10. “How will prednisone affect my mental health conditions?”
11. “I wish I had known to ask about dental issues and what effect it would have for diabetes.”
12. “Will this change my physical appearance?”
13. “When coming off, what side effects would there be? My right foot and leg swelled overnight when I was coming off prednisone.”
14. “How will this medicine affect my stomach?”
15. “Do you think I will ever be able to come off it?”
16. “What are the most common side effects and what steps can I take to lower the risks?”