11 Questions to Ask Your Doctor at Every Appointment
I recently have been dealing with some major health issues again. Which isn’t anything new to me, but it prompted me to come up with a list of questions everyone should ask their doctor, whether it’s for a new diagnosis, new medication or just routine care visits. Knowing what to ask your doctor can help educate you on ways you can help or hinder your health.
If you are like me, then you might get so nervous at your appointment you forget to ask. Or your anxiety has gotten you to a place where your heart is beating out of your chest, and your voice disappears. Either way, having a list of things you mean to ask will help not only you but your doctor be able to better communicate.
So here we go:
1. What is the exact name of whatever is wrong with me?
2. Is this something that is treatable and goes away, or is this something that is chronic?
3. What are the short-term and long-term prognoses?
4. What are the short-term and long-term goals with treatment?
5. Is this something that genetically I can pass down to my child(ren)?
6. What do you recommend as far as treatment?
7. What are the medications you recommend? And what are the side effects? How long will I have to take said medication?
8. How will this condition and/or medications affect my life?
9. Is there a specialist I can see?
10. Will this condition or medications affect my ability to exercise?
11. Is there a special diet that might ease symptoms or improve this condition?
As always, if you have any concerns about your health, it’s always best to consult your primary care physician. You can also add anything you feel like I missed. But this, for me, is a good place to start.
This post originally appeared on Artistic Sick Girl.
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Photo via Szepy on Getty Images