12 Memes That Nail What It's Like to Be 'Rare'
When you’re diagnosed with a rare disease, or let’s face it, diseases (because so many of us don’t just get one), you usually spend much of your time trying to make sense of it and do research to learn how to best manage your health.
What’s even harder is trying to make others understand what it feels like to walk a day in your shoes. It can be frustrating having to spell out your condition, help others pronounce it, and then explain the symptoms to friends and family. And oftentimes, it’s not much easier when you go to the doctor — where you seem to know more about your condition than they do.
So if you’re rare, here are 12 relatable memes that attempt to explain what it’s like to be rare, and hopefully they make you laugh along the way.
1. When the side effects of your meds are just as bad as the rare condition they treat:
2. When you haven’t had a good night’s sleep in years:
3. When you tell people about your rare disease and no one’s heard of it:
4. Also when you tell someone about your rare condition and they’ve never heard of it:
5. When even the doctor hasn’t heard of your condition:
6. When your one rare condition causes several others:
6. When others seem to have all the answers to your illness:
7. Meeting another “zebra” who finally gets it:
8. When you finally get released from a hospital admission:
9. When the doctor thinks you’re perfectly healthy, even though you feel like death:
10. When people can’t understand that your rare disease won’t just suddenly “go away”:
11. When others try to relate:
12. What it really feels like to be rare: