What to Keep in Mind When You See the Story of the Girl Who Died From a Peanut Chips Ahoy! Cookie


It was late at night and I was away with my sister-in-law for a girl’s weekend. I admit I may have even had a drink. In hindsight, I can tell you firmly this is not the time to order my groceries online, especially when you have a child with a life-threatening peanut allergy. I should have known better. After all, I am not just a food allergy mom, but a food allergy advocate who has met her share of parents who have lost a child due to food induced anaphylaxis. Still, I made an error that could have been fatal.

I placed the order for fruits, vegetables, a few staples and then decided to add ice cream cones to the mix. I vaguely remember clicking on the brand I knew to be safe and then placed the order. Two days later, I got what can only be described as an incredulous call from my husband saying, “Are you trying to kill Josh while you are gone?” Apparently, I had clicked in error on ice cream cones that came studded with peanuts. Not made in a factory, not “may contain,” but the actual peanuts themselves. Thankfully, my husband caught it before my son could have made himself an ice cream cone.

I’ve been thinking about my online shopping error when I read about the death of Alexi Stafford (age 15) who died recently due to an anaphylactic food allergy reaction. Alexi was at a friend’s house and mistakenly ate what she believed to be a plain chocolate chip cookie, however, this one contained peanuts. Her grieving mother took to social media to describe the Chips Ahoy! Red packaging which had lulled her daughter in to believing this was the safe snack she usually ate.

It is all too easy to paint the picture of a teenager, hungry and quick to grab a snack, glancing at a package that looked familiar and eating a cookie. It is so frightening that even a teenager trained to do everything “right” regarding her food allergy can so easily make a fatal mistake. The package was peeled back to access the cookies, so that all she could see was the red color packaging (the same color as the same brand safe cookies she usually ate at home).

Social media can be a wonderful way to spread awareness — the goal of the Stafford family was to share private details of a horrific event to prevent future tragedies. But it is truly a double-edged sword as many people online are saying because Alexi could read, she somehow deserves what happened to her. They also fault her mother. Both of these criticisms are reprehensible. As my own story illustrates, we are all fallible. No one is perfect, yet for food allergies, falling short of the mark of perfection can be deadly. When sharing the story on my website nonuttraveler.com, so many people came out of the woodworks to discuss similar “slip-ups” and near misses.

I am thankful this family came forward, not only so I can warn my peanut allergic 12-year-old son of Alexi’s mistake, but also because spreading awareness in the public space about the real dangers of food allergies is vital so that future tragedies can be avoided.

Follow this journey at The No Nut Traveler.

Twitter: @NoNutTraveler

Getty image by kaipong


Find this story helpful? Share it with someone you care about.


Related to Food allergies

What I Want People to Understand About Flying When You Have a Peanut Allergy

My son and I were waiting to board a flight to Sarasota, Florida. JetBlue is our airline of choice because of my son’s anaphylactic peanut allergy. It permits us to pre-board so that I can clean the seating area. As per usual, my heart is pounding. I know I have only a few minutes before [...]
Comparison of almost identical red packaging of Chips Ahoy! original and peanut butter

15-Year-Old Girl Dies After Mistaking Peanut Chips Ahoy! Packaging for Nut-Free

Updated on 7/17/18 with statement from Nabisco representative. Those with peanut allergies and parents of children with allergies understand how important it is to read all food labels to determine which foods are safe. Yet no matter how closely you monitor what you or your child eats, accidents can happen. This was the case for [...]
A woman standing outside, wiping away her tears with her arm.

It's OK to Cry Over a Donut When the Ease of Eating Is Gone

A couple of weeks ago I was visiting my girlfriend’s dad, and her grandmother and dad decided to take us out to eat to a seafood restaurant that had received rave reviews. Before going I looked over their menu and drooled at the possibilities. I was excited and ready to devour platefuls of flaky fish, [...]
Southwest airplane

Southwest Airlines Announces It Will No Longer Serve Peanuts

Starting August 1, Southwest Airlines will no longer serve peanuts. Its decision follows an incident in March, where a Southwest Airlines employee served peanuts on a flight, causing a 9-year-old boy to have a severe allergic reaction. Flight attendants were made aware of the boy’s peanut allergy prior to the flight, but the attendant who served [...]