14 Memes That Nail What Winter Is Like With Chronic Illness
Some may look forward to winter for the first magical snowfall, holiday festivities or bundling up on a cold evening next to the fire. But for many of those with chronic illness, winter can be less of a “wonderland” and more of a frigid season filled with increased pain and flare-ups.
Maybe the icy breeze aggravates your allodynia, or the cold weather seeps into your bones, causing extra pain and stiffness. Perhaps your internal barometer constantly goes off with aches and pains due to all the precipitation that falls this time of year. Or maybe you have an intolerance or sensitivity to cold weather, and your body practically freezes as soon as the temperature begins to drop. Whatever the reason, winter can be a tough time for many chronic warriors (though others may struggle just as much, if not more, during the summer!).
Since hibernating and waking up come spring isn’t exactly an option, we wanted to spread some virtual warmth and cheer by rounding up a few memes that nail what it’s like to be chronically ill during the winter. If this is a difficult time of year for you, you’re not alone!
1. When snow could be fun… if it didn’t cause massive pain flares:
2. When you need to bundle up in a million layers because you’re sensitive to cold:
3. When winter aggravates your chronic pain:
4. When it seems like you’re the only one not looking forward to winter:
5. When even the slightest cool breeze against your skin causes a pain flare:
6. When people question why you’re wearing sunglasses during winter:
7. When no amount of exposure will make you any more tolerant of cold temperatures:
8. When every season causes health issues:
9. When you get home and immediately curl up with your heating pads and blankets:
10. When cold weather is the worst for your joint pain:
11. When winter means constant flare-ups:
12. When the cold weather basically freezes all your joints: