Autism Dating Show ‘Love on the Spectrum’ Heads to Netflix
What happened: The docuseries “Love on the Spectrum” is airing on Netflix later this month. The series follows young adults with autism as they navigate the world of dating with the support of dating experts. The series, which is directed by Cian O’Cleary, first premiered on ABC Australia in November 2019. O’Cleary also created the Australian series “Employable Me,” which followed autistic job seekers.
I hope this series will start conversations, help bring about understanding and acceptance, and ultimately inspire people with autism, their families and society at large to find ways to help people on the spectrum find love. — Cian O’Cleary, Entertainment Tonight
EW exclusively debuts the trailer for dating docu-series 'Love on the Spectrum' following young adults on the autism spectrum looking for love. https://t.co/YdQvEyvMKI
— Entertainment Weekly (@EW) July 7, 2020
The Frontlines: There are often misconceptions that autistic people don’t want to be in relationships or that they can’t love. Along with “Love on the Spectrum” some other documentaries and books shared an autistic perspective on the subject:
- “Autism in Love”, a documentary that aired on PBS and followed four people on the spectrum as they navigated romantic relationships
- The book “The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger’s Syndrome and One Man’s Quest to be a Better Husband” by David Finch (who is autistic) follows Finch’s journey to save his marriage
Get more on autism: Sign up for our weekly autism newsletter.
A Mighty Voice: Our contributor, Molly D. Dann-Pipinias, shared this about the theory that autistics can’t feel love: “I think my autism allows me to love more deeply than if I were neurotypical. I connect to people in more unique ways. I also feel like my love isn’t limited by levels. I love my friends just as deeply as I love my spouse.” You can submit your first person story, too.
From Our Community:
Add your voice:
Other things to know: Here are some more articles about autism and relationships:
- Married (With Autism)
- When I Worried My Autism Meant I Was Incapable of Feeling Love
- To My Girlfriend Who Loves Me, Autism and All
- Finding Love as an Autistic Adult: What It’s Like for Me
How to take action: You can watch the trailer for “Love on the Spectrum” below and watch all five episodes on Netflix starting July 22.
Header image via Netflix/YouTube