UGG Creates Adaptive Version of Its Popular Boots With Zappos Adaptive
UGG and Zappos Adaptive came together to create UGG Universal, an inclusive footwear collection that features many classic styles from UGG, best known for its boots. The new shoes have adaptive components like oversized double zippers, rear pull tabs and toggle-adjusted stretch laces, which make them accessible to more people, especially in the disability community.
— ZapposAdaptive (@ZapposAdaptive) October 6, 2020
The Frontlines: Adaptive clothing provides people in the disability community access to the same styles and trends, and many of the universal design features benefit all wearers. Despite the fact that 1 in 4 US adults live with a disability, adaptive clothing is still not commonplace.
- A 2018 study from the University of Missouri found that the lack of accessible clothing may be a barrier for disabled people looking for work.
- There is a financial incentive for companies to create adaptive clothing. According to Vogue Business, the “global market for adaptive clothing is expected to be valued at nearly $400 billion by 2026.”
- Stylist Stephanie Thomas created Cur8able to curate adaptive clothing for the disability community from a range of designers.
Get more on disability: Sign up for our weekly disability newsletter.
A Mighty Voice: Contributor Leah Wood wrote about how accessible clothing for disabled people may be easier than some might assume. “It just requires a little more research and time. I’ve been a seamstress for almost 10 years now, and as someone with a disability, anything I make for myself is made to fit my needs. And you know what? It’s easy! I place zippers that I can reach, use buttons that are easy to slip into their respective holes, and pick fabric that feels good and has give. So why is it so hard to find these things in ‘the wild,’ as it were?” You can submit your first-person story, too.
From Our Community:
Other Things to Know: Clothing brands, including Zappos Adaptive, are introducing more and more fashionable accessible clothing. You can read these articles to learn more about brands that create inclusive collections:
- Target’s Universal Thread Line Will Include Sensory-Friendly and Adaptive Apparel
- Zappos Adaptive Launches Single and Different Size Shoes Test Program
- Tommy Hilfiger Expands Its Adaptive Line for Adults With Disabilities
Where to get yours: UGG Universal shoes come in 5-18 in women’s and men’s sizes, and 6-10 in kids’ sizes. The price range of this collection is around $130 to $170 USD. UGG Universal will be exclusively available on Zappos.com until 2022. Zappos.com only ships to people living in the United States, U.S. Territories and Military APO/FPO addresses. You can check out and purchase footwear from the UGG Universal collection on Zappos.com
Images via Zappos.com