8 Reasons to Celebrate World Cerebral Palsy Day
World Cerebral Palsy Day is on Oct. 6. It’s the one day out of the year where we celebrate the 17 million people that are living with cerebral palsy and their loved ones.
So, why should we celebrate World CP Day? Here are some reasons I want to share:
1. People with cerebral palsy have their own stories to tell. Although cerebral palsy is a common condition, not everyone’s story is the same. People with cerebral palsy come from all different backgrounds and places.
2. It’s no secret that people with cerebral palsy have many different strengths and abilities that deserve to be celebrated, for example, I love to write but some of my friends with cerebral palsy love to sing and dance.
3. People with cerebral palsy are everyday heroes that impact the many people they come across each and every day. We go out in society and make a difference in our communities.
4. People with cerebral palsy go through a lot from going to doctors’ appointments to physical therapy sessions. We face a lot, but we always have a smile on our faces too.
5. People with cerebral palsy have some of the greatest support from their loved ones and caregivers which gives us the strength to get through the day.
6. People with cerebral palsy have voices and we want our voices to be heard. World CP Day gives us a chance to come together, support one another, have our voices heard and spread awareness for one cause.
7. People with cerebral palsy have the biggest hearts and will do anything to make someone’s day brighter.
8. People with cerebral palsy are go-getters and they will set out to do anything they set their minds to … and will most definitely achieve what they set out to do. People with cerebral palsy are the most thoughtful, loving, kind-hearted people you’ll ever meet. I ask that you celebrate them on World CP Day, but every day as well.
Photo credit: jarenwicklund/Getty Images