11 Affirmations for Job Seekers With Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Job searching can be tough for anyone due to a range of factors including economic shifts, a competitive job market, and hiring managers asking for more while paying less. These are normal hardships that come with scouting for new roles. Now add general anxiety disorder (GAD) to the mix and get ready for Hellscape like none other.
When you live with GAD, it’s easy and common to overthink everything. Spiraling thoughts can be debilitating and ultimately stop you from going for new opportunities. There’s also the comparison game – counting every single way you don’t measure up to the people around you. All of this is difficult to navigate on the day-to-day, so when adding in a time-consuming opaque task like looking for a new job, it’s easy to become overwhelmed, dismayed, and feel stuck.
You could easily become stuck fixating on why you didn’t get a call back for a role, or how you’re presenting at the interview. That’s when you get past the resume stage when can be so consuming. Oh, and how do you advocate for yourself in an interview when talking about yourself gives you severe anxiety because you don’t want to seem like you’re bragging? That’s just the beginning of the anxious thoughts that you may encounter. Lord knows the anxiety brain is pretty creative.
If you’re feeling this way, here are some affirmations and reminders to aid you through your job search all the way into you signing that pretty little acceptance letter.
1. You are more than qualified for your dream role.
2. It’s not about what you can’t do. It’s about what you can do, and you can do so much more than you know.
3. No candidate is perfect, and what you may “lack” you make up for in other extremely important ways.
You deserve every ounce of success that’s on its way to you.
4. You’re more than your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile.
5. It takes 99 no’s to get one yes. Rejection is helping guide you towards the big y-e-s. Embrace it.
6. Rejection is just redirection helping you get closer to where you want to be.
7. Your anxiety is a liar. You are good enough for the role you want.
8. There’s someone out there dreaming of hiring someone like you. They just haven’t met you yet.
9. You deserve every ounce of success that’s on its way to you.
10. Growth isn’t finite, and you’re not stuck. If things aren’t going your way it’s not because it’s not meant for you. It’s OK to take a deep breath, pivot, and figure out what comes next.
11. Remember when you didn’t think you’d get the job you have now? Well, you got it, didn’t you? You’ve done it once, you can do it again.
If you’re currently looking for a new job, please remember that what you’re looking for is not only out there, but it’s also for you and only you.
You are more than qualified for your dream role.
You got this. We believe in you. Stay Mighty.
Getty image by Delmaine Donson