What's Your 'Best Excuse' For Avoiding Mental Health Treatment?
The most helpful emails in healthBrowse our free newsletters
If you are affected by mental illness, The Mighty wants to hear your response to this question: What’s one excuse you made before you sought treatment for your mental health? Send us your video response, and it might be used in a video for The Mighty! Here’s our last video, and a summary of our video tips for filming your response:
- When using a cellphone, hold it horizontally with two hands if you can. Don’t hold it vertically.
- If using a video camera, be sure it is on a tripod or held by another person.
- Try to answer the question in 5 – 15 seconds.
- Use plenty of natural light. If inside, have your face towards the window. You don’t want the sun or a window behind you — it creates a silhouette and we won’t be able to see you.
- Record in a quiet place.
- Speak clearly & concisely. Be sure your hand is not over the microphone. Play through the video before submitting to make sure you can hear yourself.
Please submit your video to email@example.com by January 18th. Please note: Every clip cannot be included in what is published. However, every response will be used internally, to help make our approach to mental health coverage as informed & supportive as it can be.
Related: ‘One Thing I Want Someone With a Mental Illness to Know Is…’
Originally published: January 7, 2016