To the People Who Stuck by Me After My Suicide Attempt
1. Thank you for seeing me at my worst and still loving me. I know it must have been incredibly difficult to see me like that. It was hard for me, too.
2. Thank you for never giving up on me, even when I gave up on myself. You are the reason I forced myself to stay alive after the second attempt.
3. Thank you for sitting up with me when I felt alone. I know it was probably hard talking to me in that state. I truly did appreciate your efforts.
4. Thank you for not seeing me as a lost cause. I looked in the mirror and saw nothing but wasted space and rotting potential. In my eyes, I was worth nothing, but through your eyes, I started to see myself as something.
5. Thank you for not making me talk about it before I was ready. I know you wanted to know what was going through my head when it happened. I know it was hard to comprehend why I tried to end my life.
6. Thank you for reminding me I am loved. The thoughts that always ran through my brain told me otherwise.
7. Thank you for joking around with me like you always did. I needed that hint of normality in my life when everything else was a mess.
8. Thank you for the extra hugs. I was never a big hugger, but looking back the hugs definitely brought a smile to my face.
9. Thank you for giving me some space when I needed it. I know it must have been hard to leave me alone when I was still in such a fragile state. You probably worried about what I might do to myself when I was alone, but I really did need my own space to heal.
10. Thank you for loving me more than I loved myself. Your love and support pushed me to keep breathing, to keep putting one foot in front of the other, to stay alive. I may not have loved myself enough to keep living, but my love for you kept me alive.
If you need support right now, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 or text “START” to 741-741.
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Thinkstock photo via Liubov Marchuk