Encouragement for All the Brave Eating Disorder Recovery Warriors Out There
This is encouragement for everyone who is currently in the process of recovery.
I wanted to encourage you on your decision to overcome an eating disorder. It’s not an easy decision. I wanted to encourage you by letting you know that you are brave.
You are probably thinking, “No, I’m not. I am nowhere near brave.”
You are probably thinking, “She isn’t talking about me.”
Yes, I am talking to you.
I am talking to you — beautiful, brave warrior.
You have made a decision to recover and that is brave.
You are a brave warrior because maybe you:
1. Got out of bed this morning.
2. Followed your meal plan.
3. Asked for help.
4. Kept your appointment with your counsellor or therapist.
5. Let someone know you are struggling.
6. Made the decision to be real with someone about how you are feeling.
7. Ate breakfast.
9. May have cried.
10. Went out for a coffee with a friend.
11. Chose to ignore the negative thoughts.
12. Wrote in your journal.
15. Went grocery shopping.
16. Listened to music that inspired you.
17. Stopped and just breathed.
Maybe you have been brave in your own way. Maybe you’ve only thought about doing something on the list above, and that is OK. Sometimes just thinking about doing something is a step toward recovery. Every day is a step forward in recovery.
Be kind to yourself — beautiful, brave warrior.
We want to hear your story. Become a Mighty contributor here.
Thinkstock photo via ArthurHidden