37 Memes That Might Make You Laugh If You Live With 'High-Functioning' Anxiety
Though “high-functioning” anxiety is not a real diagnosis, it’s a term many people who seem totally fine, but secretly struggle with anxiety, identify with. Hiding your mental health struggles is difficult, though, and sometimes you just need to feel validated in what you’re experiencing. In times like these, humor can be a valuable coping tool — and memes often have just what we need to hear!
Maybe you love anxiety memes because they help you explain your anxiety to people who can’t believe you struggle with it. Maybe, sending a relatable mental health meme to a friend can bring a smile to their face on days they’re feeling overwhelmed. Or maybe, seeing a funny meme can let you know you aren’t the only one feeling this way.
Whatever your situation may be, humor can definitely be a powerful tool to have in your coping arsenal.
If you use humor to cope with “high-functioning” anxiety, here’s a roundup of some memes that might make you chuckle.
1. What is stress relief, really?
2. “High functioning” anxiety makes you the model employee.
3. When constantly hiding your anxiety catches up with you…
— Lauren (@aaublogger) November 21, 2017
4. When you’re such an expert at hiding your mental health in front of loved ones, that it awkwardly comes out to strangers.
5. When “being in control” is practically an art form.
6. When your coffee dependency does nothing to help your anxiety.
7. Making decisions can wait… until tomorrow.
8. When you just want to take a nap, but anxiety won’t shut up.
My depression:nothing matters, just take a nap
— memeで英会話 (@memejapanese) December 3, 2017
9. When you avoid social engagements like a pro.
10. What happens after you actually do go out with friends.
11. When “acting natural” actually means putting a ton of effort into how you appear to others.
12. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a super power that banishes negative thoughts?
This meme might be the key to curing my anxiety pic.twitter.com/cYY77VeVA9
— Shy. (@shylahurd) November 27, 2017
13. Those times you know anxiety can’t wait to invite its friends to the party.
14. When technology makes your anxiety avoidance way easier.
15. When you politely listen to people’s anxiety “advice.”
16. What you show people when they don’t understand anxiety.
— Ezi2015 (@TheResilientEzi) September 3, 2017
17. How you feel in large groups…
— It's My Anxiety (@myanxietyseries) October 3, 2017
18. Me: I’m going to have so much freedom in college! Anxiety: nope.
— nOCD (@treatmyocd) October 5, 2017
19. When you crave intimacy, but anxiety makes you bolt at the first opportunity.
20. Obsessing over past mistakes, anyone?
21. Why can’t “being chill” and “getting chills” from anxiety be the same thing?
— spaghetti queen ♔ (@SholaScarlett) November 2, 2017
22. When you go with your super social friend to a party.
23. When anxiety makes you avoid talking on the phone.
24. Did we mention phone anxiety already?
25. How phone anxiety works when you’re waiting for a reply…
26. Me: Going to go to bed early tonight. Anxiety: That’s funny.
27. When you take anxiety reduction very seriously.
28. When you’re convinced this panic attack is the one that will do you in.
29. Processing life “advice” like…
30. When you seem “fine” but secretly want people to know you’re not.
31. What your anxiety looks like during the “most wonderful time of the year.”
32. When you run into old friends.
33. The inner battle that wages when you get invited somewhere.
34. When you think you’re invincible, but you’re really not.
35. Your answer when asked, “What gives you anxiety?”
36. Those times when things are clearly not OK, but you smile anyway.
37. “High-functioning” anxiety? No, I don’t know her.
— chach (@ellchachki) August 2, 2017