New Netflix Docuseries 'Lenox Hill' Follows Doctors Inside a Real Hospital
What’s coming: A new Netflix docuseries will follow four real doctors at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City to provide viewers an inside look at what it’s like to be on the frontlines of health care in the U.S. Titled “Lenox Hill,” the eight-episode series was filmed before COVID-19, but creators say it still gives viewers a glimpse into the reality of health care workers. Here’s what else to expect:
- The series follows brain surgeons David Langer and John Boockvar, emergency room physician Mirtha Macri and Chief Resident OB/GYN Amanda Little-Richardson
- Viewers will get a look at the personal and professional impact these doctors experience working at a major hospital
- “Lenox Hill” was created by Ruthie Shatz and Adi Barash
Doctors put their lives on the line every single day to treat their patients.
Lenox Hill is a new docu-series that celebrates four of these superheroes. pic.twitter.com/Pxkb1aO1nL
— Netflix (@netflix) May 27, 2020
The frontlines: Due to COVID-19, many people are focused on frontline health care workers, including the pressures and mental health consequences of working in such a high-pressure and sometimes traumatic setting.
- Even prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, doctors have a higher risk of dying by suicide, 1.4 to 2.3 times higher than the general population
- Medical students and residents have higher rates of depression, 15 to 30% of students and residents have depression compared to about 7% of the general population
- Recent studies showed COVID-19 has a major negative impact on frontline workers’ mental health
A Mighty Voice: Our contributor, Gabrielle Ferrara, MSW, sent a message of thanks to health care workers. “Dear essential workers, healthcare professionals and everyone on the front lines, thank you. I see the incredible work you are doing night and day, hour after hour. I cannot even begin to imagine the toll it is taking on you not only physically, but emotionally and mentally.” You can submit your first person story, too.
Get more on mental health: Sign up for our weekly mental health newsletter.
From Our Community:
More helpful thinking: “Lenox Hill” will debut on Netflix on June 10, and you can watch the trailer below.
Header image screenshot via Netflix/”Lenox Hill”