If Your Condition Was a College Major, What Classes Would You Take?
Oh, college. Fun times when you didn’t know you had attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), had to go through your first major breakup, and ended up moving across the country on a whim due to what could have been your first true manic episode.
What? That was just my experience? Whoops.
Anyways, college and college classes are either a fun, amazing time in your life, or the complete opposite (especially when you live with disabilities or health conditions). The good part about college is that you get to largely choose what you study, versus being forced to take classes just because your high school advisor doesn’t see the point in the arts and thus stopped you from taking any classes that would actually benefit your future which then put you behind all the other creatives in your age group.
Wait? That was once again only me? My bad. Carrying on.
Living with health conditions can come with varied collective experiences, almost akin to college course lists. Inspired by a fun warm up brought up by The Mighty’s content and community team, we decided to ask y’all if your conditions were a college major, what major would they be and what classes would you take?
Personally I’d have a 4.0 average in “Introduction to Object Permanence” and “The History of Yesterday, as in Literally What Did I Do Yesterday Because I Don’t Remember.” Here’s what our community shared with us:
Sigma Spoonies Sigma
1. Double major (Fibromyalgia and Bipolar) with a minor in Chronic Back Pain
- Pain Management 201
- Psychology 202
- A Day in the Psych Ward 203
- Getting Things Done 204
- Insomnia 205
- Self-Care 206
— From Mighty member @01-mountains
2. Double major (Fibromyalgia and ADHD) with a minor in Depression
- Napping 402
- Putting Yourself First, The Art of Saying No
- Meditation 301
— From Mighty member Alison Bradley
3. Major in General Chronic Illness Studies
- Dealing with Doctors Who Don’t Believe You 101
- Healing Options With Herbs and Supplements 101, 201, 401
- Writing Up an Opus to Give to Family Who Fail to Understand Your Pain 101
— From Mighty member @Marymiller
Delta Disability Theta
4. Major in Cerebral Palsy
- Walk Softly 101
- The Art of Spasms 300
- Medical History Fluency 436
— From Mighty member @Austengirl89
Mu Mentally Ill Omega
5. Major in General Mental Illness Studies
- How to Choose a Psychiatrist 1A and 1B
- How to Choose a Therapist 1A and 1B
- How to Navigate a Psych Ward. Graduate Level
— From Mighty member @Smewby
6. Major in Bipolar
- How to Tell When You’re Out of Control and What to Do
— From Mighty member @TanyaDavidson
Would you attend any of these classes? Let us know below! Happy studying!
Getty image by Igor Alecsander