10 Things I Wish You Knew About My Daughter With Disabilities
1. Please don’t stare. A smile and a wave is much better.
2. Callie can do whatever she wants to do — swimming, horseback riding, dancing. She just might need an adaptation or it might look a little different. She still can participate to the fullest of her ability.
3. Her prosthetic leg is not the coolest thing about her.
4. Her prosthetic leg is pretty cool-looking, though.
5. We wish we saw more people like Callie in media, books, films, ads and on TV.
6. It’s extremely expensive and time-consuming to manage all of her healthcare needs.
7. She’s worth every penny.
8. We don’t want your pity. We would love your compassion, acceptance and empathy though.
9. We would love your help championing for people like Callie. Allies are amazing.
10. The disability is not the issue. The accessibility and the lack of adaptations are.